We have been to Thailand many times and besides the people, the beaches and the temples, it’s the food that is always a major highlight of our trips. We love Thai food so much that on one of our trips to Chiang Mai we decided to take a course at the famous Chiang Mai Thai Cookery School run by Sompon and Elizabeth Nabnian. Here is one of the delicious recipes we learnt from them.
- 500ml of thick coconut milk
- 500ml of thin coconut milk
- 300gm of sliced chicken breast
- 4 shallots
- 200gm of straw mushrooms
- 2 tbsp of lime juice
- 5 small chillies
- 2 stalks of lemon grass
- 3 tbsp of fish sauce
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 1/2 cup of chopped coriander leaves
- Pour the thick and thin coconut milks into a saucepan and turn onto a high heat.
- Add the chopped lemongrass, shallots, mushrooms and chillies and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 5 minutes and add in the chicken breasts.
- Next add in the fish sauce and kaffir lime leaves and bring to the boil again.
- Turn off the heat and add in the lemon juice and half the coriander leaves – use the rest for a garnish, then serve.